This page lists a number of tips from Firaxis' Sid Meier himself. Use them to your advantage!
- If you're looking for an extra challenge, turn Permadeath on in the Options menu.
- The Randomized Damage option can add new challenges and surprises to campaigns you have already played.
- If all of your pilots become POW's you lose the game; select a pilot with 'Escape Artist' to avoid losing.
- Using cloud cover will aid damaged units in staying out of harm's way, and creating a diversion.
- Don't just use clouds to avoid taking damage; use clouds to set up traps for enemy pilots.
- Keep an eye on each pilot's altitude; friend and foe. This will help your pilots line up more accurate shots sooner.
- When upgrades are received, try to equally dole out new features among your team. This will reduce the chance of you losing a star pilot, or leaving rookie to fight on their own.
- Look for a green arrow; this move will always do some percentage of damage.
- Pilots will retain damage until the end of a battle, so keep an eye on your pilot's health before sending them on another mission.
- You can add custom colors and decals to your planes so your favorite pilots are easier to spot on the battlefield.
- Check the Pilots portrait for a small plane icon, this shows how many enemies this pilot has shot down in the current mission.
- If you are unsure about what maneuver to perform, check the Ace-O-Pedia for help.
- For a more authentic experience you can choose to have all male pilots from the options menu.
- In higher difficulties, it is ideal to attack bombers and photographers as soon as possible to reap the maximum reward.
- Play multiplayer games to practice and test certain game tactics.
- Sometimes, going for maximum damage isn't the best option - keep an eye out for traps set by your opponent.